COHA Board of Directors strives to ensure the Board members reflect a variety of ages and experience from society and is charged with ensuring the Central Okanagan Hospice Association continues to commit to our mission: "Central Okanagan Hospice Association is committed to community outreach and meeting the needs of the terminally ill and their families by providing compassionate care and supportive assistance through resources, trained volunteers and professional counselling."
If you would like to contact the Board of Directors you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please download and read the following file if you are interested in joining our board.
The number of directors is to be a minimum of six (6) and a maximum of eleven (11)
- Past President one (1) year term
- President two (2) year term
- Vice President one (1) year term
- Secretary two (2) year term
- Treasurer two (2) year term
- Six Directors two (2) year term
Board members are elected and may serve up to 3 consecutive two-year terms.
ELEGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR BOARD of DIRECTOR CANDIDATES:
- To have a commitment to quality Hospice Palliative Care.
- Able to demonstrate a willingness to learn and understand the Hospice philosophy, mission and history.
- Able to demonstrate the ability to be a team participant, bringing a consensual approach to decision making
- In compliance with conflict of interest guidelines issued by the Societies Act of BC
- A resident of the Central Okanagan area and a current member in good standing with the COHA
- A Positive attitude that would bring enthusiasm, energy and passion to our cause
- Significant practical experience in areas that would further the work and function of the Association including:
- Employment or volunteer work in personnel,
- Planning, administration,
- Finance, legal,
- Marketing, communications and public relations,
- Health care, community development
- Previous experience on a board or committee is desirable, but not necessary, however a willingness to learn and to serve in a collaborative way is key.
COMMITMENT AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Regular Board Meetings are scheduled for the 3rd Wednesday of the month from 4:30 – 6:00 pm at the Cooper Road, Orchard Plaza centre
- The Annual General Meeting is held in June
- There are no meetings in July and August
- Attend all monthly meetings if at all possible and notify the Chair prior to the meeting if you are unable to attend any of the 10 regular meetings and the AGM
- Prepare for meetings by reading minutes and other relevant material
- Participate actively in meetings, asking for clarification when necessary, expressing your views, listening to the other participants and making decisions
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner
- Abide by and support a Board decision ("In instances where you strongly oppose decisions made by the Board, you may wish to record your opposition in to the minutes.Your obligation remains to support the decision outside the board meeting".)
- As mentioned it is expected that board members make every effort to attend all meetings, but definitely should not miss more than 3 meetings in a year.
COMMITTES (that may be formed from time to time)
- Public Relations
- Annual General Meeting
- Constitution and bylaws